Monday 6 December 2010

INSIDE OUT

For the first term of my 3rd year we were presented with 4 live projects based on the theme of 'Inside Out'. We had an opportunity to choose to produce work for WGSN, Burberry, InDesign and a Nordic exhibition. I decided to choose a subject for my body of research that could apply easily to all of the options.....



To begin my project I wanted to look at the site and design of the prison grounds that we once shared with Burberry. The architectural aspect of this project enables me to also connect it with the theme Inside-Out, focusing on stained glass windows to represent my ideas. I chose stained glass windows as they provided the perfect representation relating to the design of the site and also the idea that they provide an ‘enlightening barrier’ to the outside world, when viewed from within. With their bold colours and intricate designs they evoke a dream-like wonder from the viewer as the outside sunlight reflects through them. When visiting the windows at the Notre Dame in Paris myself, the emotions expressed where ones of awe and splendor, emotions which I feel were perhaps anticipated by the prisoners who once roamed the grounds, having an idyllic view of the outside world and their longing to be in it once again. I have visited the British contemporaries in London, particularly inspired by Westminster Cathedral located near the site for its use of colour and style. To research further I have looked into crystal formations, analyzing the sharp geometric formations, and tribal art, referencing their voyage to Australia. I have also looked at existing architecture that also uses a strong geometric theme such as Islamic and Mosaic designs for their attention to the intricate details and clustered patterning.

I am in the knit pathway and have decided to try and combine this project with some printed details, as I found it the perfect opportunity to. I have focused on very deep, over-dyed colours, constructing fabrics using crochet, macramé and felting, combining printed leather with cotton, wool and polyester yarns for their contrasting textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment